Hands-on approach at the crossroads of Business, Law and Technology
Competum is a boutique law firm specialized in providing legal support to IT and Technology firms related to contracts, Intellectual Property, corporate governance and other IP & legal matters.
Competum commercially astute hands-on services understanding business needs and business models is based on long experience from firms of all sizes, from the leading international firms to start-ups in Finnish and in international business arenas.
Our name “Competum” is the Latin word for a place where several ways meet. Accordingly, Competum provides services at the crossroads of Business, Law and Technology.
Pasi Valtonen, Counsel and Master of Science (Business Administration)
Since 2012 Competum and its’ founder Pasi Valtonen has focused on assisting software houses, IT service companies and other technology companies in their contract, IPR and other legal matters.
Prior to Competum Valtonen held positions at ICL Data (Fujitsu Services), Oracle and Tieto (TietoEnator) between 1996 and 2012. In addition to his in-house legal counsel roles, he has established, developed and managed international Corporate Intellectual Property & Open Source Support Functions for Tieto Group for many years, covering over 30 countries. Valtonen was also Commercial Manager at ICL and at Oracle his roles included Business Practices Representative and establishing and managing contract administration.
As a young lawyer Valtonen also worked in National Agency for Medicines and Ministry of Social and Health Affairs as well as in district court to obtain judge qualification.
By education Valtonen is a Master of Laws and Master of Science (Business Administration). Since 2013 Valtonen has also been authorized litigation counsel in Finland.
Conference and Seminar Presentations
Valtonen has given speeches in domestic and international conferences and seminars, e.g.:
- What can be protected by Agreements? IPR AND AGREEMENTS -seminar, IPR University Center 2017
- IPR Terms / IT2015 and JIT2015 – New Standard Terms, Almatalent/ Training Courses of The Association of Finnish Lawyers 2016
- Freedom to operate and Business, IPR University Center 2013
- Transfer Block Exemption Regulation in practice, IPR University Center 2013
- Open Source Software Governance of software products and services in large companies, Validos 2013
- Cloud Computing: Keeping IP Under Control, Premier Cercle pan-European Intellectual Property Summit 2010 in Brussels
- Does IT Need a New Class of IP? Premier Cercle pan-European Intellectual Property Summit 2008 in Brussels
- A Business Oriented approach to your IP Strategy, IPR Strategies for Global Patent Protection, organised by IQPC, Stockholm, Sweden 2006
- Various seminars presenting IT2000 ja IT2010 terms in 2000 and 2010 respectively, organized by The Association of Finnish Lawyers, Talentum and chamber of commerce
- Various seminars presenting Outsourcing Agreements, contractual risk management, IP Protection of Software and source code
For your convenience Finnish titles have been translated to English aobve.
Positions of Responsibility and Trust
- Competum Intellectual Property Management Gathering organizer 2012 –
- Member of Board of Finnish IT Law Association 2013 – 2016, 1999 – 2004
- Validos, Member of Board 2010 – 2012 (Vice Chairman 2011 – 2012)
- Member of IP Committee of Central Chamber of Commerce of Finland 2007 – 2012
- Member of IPR working group of Confederation of Finnish Industries 2005 – 2012
- Member of Zacco Intellectual Property Management Gathering 2006 -2008
- Limitation of use of trademark according to advertisement restrictions in Finnish Tobacco Act, Defensor Legis 4/96
- Unfair Imitation of Marketing, in book “Intellectual property rights in uniting Europe”, 1996, edited by Mäkinen-Oesch-Rapinoja 1996)
For your convenience Finnish titles have been translated to English above.